The Extra-Tropical Storm Surge (ETSS) model is a modification of the Sea Lake and Overland Surges from Hurricanes (SLOSH) model to use Global Forecast System (GFS) wind and pressure input to predict storm surge from extra-tropical storms.
Version 2.1 (Nov. 3, 2015), it:
- Introduced the Bering-Beaufort-Chukchi Sea (BBC) basin (also: Uncertainty Analysis) to (a) allow water to flow through the Bering Strait and (b) retire the older Bering and Arctic basins.
- Added tidal forcing to the all grids.
- Produced overland inundation (based on surge and tide) for the East Coast, Gulf of Mexico, West Coast, and Alaska.
- Note: Higher resolution (625m) is available for the East Coast and Gulf of Mexico.
- Corrected the SHEF encoding to use MLLW.
- Supportted more stations via the SHEF encoding.
Reports on the impact of ETSS 2.1
For more details, please see the latest ETSS 2.1 Technical Implementation Notice.
Version 2.0 (May 19, 2015), it:
- Nested coarse extra-tropical with fine scale tropical basins.
- Produced overland inundation (based on storm surge only) for the East Coast and Gulf of Mexico.
- Produced to the coastline guidance for the West Coast and Alaska.
- Introduced a post processing stage to create bias corrected total water level SHEF messages by combining ETSS surge guidance with Center for Operational Oceanographic Products and Services' (CO-OPS) station based tidal predictions and observations (where available).
- Note: These were encoded using Mean Higher High Water (MHHW) instead of the correct Mean Lower Low Water (MLLW) vertical datum.
Reports on the impact of ETSS 2.0
For more details, please see the latest ETSS 2.0 Technical Implementation Notice.
Version 1.5 (Oct. 14, 2014), it:
- Switched input from GFS 1 degree (Grib 1) to 0.5 degree (Grib 2) winds and pressure.
- Switched output from 5/6 km NDFD CONUS/Alaska to 2.5/3.0 km NDFD CONUS/Alaska.
- Corrected mask for south Bering Sea just north of Aleutian Islands to use Bering Sea vs. Gulf of Alaska guidance.
- Modified scripts to vertical structure.
Reports on the impact of ETSS 1.5
For more details, please see the latest ETSS 1.5 Technical Implementation Notice